My Town Monday: A Plethora of Pythons in Peninsula

Python
Our Python is at home in front of our studio/gallery. Designed and painted by artist Stephanie Margush, he—or she?— is resting comfortably, waiting for visitors.

The day of the python was a beautiful one in my town, the Village of Peninsula. Python imagery was everywhere, from the fronts of community buildings, to the library, to the front porches and yards of our residents. Take a look:

Dolly
Downtown Emporium

BikeShop
Century Cycles

GAR
GAR Hall

python

Yellow
Yellow Creek Trading Company

Park Place, the Cuyahoga Valley National Park Association’s store presented a host of activities and exhibits, including Noah:

Noah

Python Posse members were ready for action:

python

The story of the Peninsula Python was everywhere.

stone

Innkeeper George Hoy, of the beautiful Inn at
Brandywine Falls
wrote a wonderful book which tells the story of the Python. George and his dog, Louie, were available as the CD was played in the Village.

Louie

The Python Parade was magnificent. Stretching 120 feet, from head to tail, the people-powered python proceeded up Main Street, climbing the hill to Riverview Road and turning south toward the Peninsula Library and Historical Society. This was a great place for the python to park, since the mural commemorating the Peninsula Python is part of the Library.

Larry's

python

python

inside

python

Much has been said and written about small towns and the spirit that makes them what they are. You kind of know that it’s the right place to be, and that it’s home. The Village of Peninsula, population 602; gently resisting change since 1837.

—————————————————————————————————————————–

You can join the latest member of the Posse, Terrie Farley Moran,and her cohorts: Sam, Travis, Barrie, and Eryl, (Post a comment, suggest a name for the first python, and I’ll enter you in the Python Posse Giveaway–and you could win cool stuff, too!)
——————————————————————————————————————————-
My Town Monday is the product of the vivid imagination of Travis Erwin. Click on over there and read what he has to say about his home town of Amarillo, Texas. Then check out the blogs of the other My Town Marauders.

10 comments

1. Terrie Farley Moran said,

July 21, 2008 @ 4:27 pm

Hooray, as a member of the Python Posse, I was a nervous wreckabout the parade. I am glad that no one in the 120 foot people powered python lost his/her step along the way!

Huge success! And you say there will be pictures? I’ll be back.

Terrie

2. Lisa Kenney said,

July 21, 2008 @ 5:27 pm

I’ll be back for more pictures! I’ve still got the heebie jeebies thinking about the original python on the lam :)

3. Linda McLaughlin said,

July 21, 2008 @ 8:12 pm

Love your python, it’s beautiful. Sounds like a good time for all.

Linda

4. Travis Erwin said,

July 22, 2008 @ 11:03 am

Guess what? I’m sitting at work right now proudly wearing my Python Days shirt.

5. Amy said,

July 23, 2008 @ 6:06 pm

Yikes! That’s a lot of snakes.

Hmmm…a name…how about: Percy. Percy Python.

6. Lisa Kenney said,

July 24, 2008 @ 2:18 am

Great pictures! If I lived in Peninsula, I might not be able to leave the house during python days…all snakes (even fake ones) scare the heck out of me!

7. Mary Witzl said,

July 24, 2008 @ 3:51 am

What I like about this is how the entire town gets together to commemorate a funny chapter in your history — this is really wonderful!

8. fromskilledhands said,

July 24, 2008 @ 10:01 am

Terrie–your distance-support is greatly appreciated. The python pushers propelled the python purposefully.

Lisa–I talked to a woman who remembers seeing the tracks of the python in the summer of 1944. Were they real? or tire tracks generated by Robert Bordner?

Thanks,Linda. Stephy did a great job!

Travis–can you send me a photo so I can post it?

There are more pythons, Amy. Stay tuned…

Most of our pythons had their tongues in their cheeks, Lisa. Not scary in the least :-)

I like the camaraderie, too, Mary. It is wonderful how so many people have become involved.

9. Travis Erwin said,

July 26, 2008 @ 2:24 pm

Great shots and yes. I’ll get you some photos real soon.

10. From Skilled Hands » My Town Monday: the Village of Peninsula, Ohio said,

July 27, 2008 @ 10:01 pm

[...] My Town Monday: A Plethora of Pythons in Peninsula [...]

RSS feed for comments on this post

All content is copyrighted. Use only with permission.